Starting the day with a steaming cup of coffee may be the normal routine of many of you! Most of you might go through additional cuppas all through the day to sail through the professional stresses. Probably, you are not aware of the ill effects of caffeine on the human body!
A dependence on the caffeine either through coffee or drugs may lead to the caffeine intoxication. The common symptoms of caffeine intoxication are:
Faster heart beats, occasional headache, stomach upset, increased level of cholesterol, heart burn, insomnia and many more. These are the situations when you need to follow a caffeine detox diet.
If you are seriously considering a caffeine detox, your goal should be to get completely rid of the addiction. Here is a step by step guide for relieving your body of caffeine toxins.
- The first thing that you should remember with regard to caffeine detox is: your body should be adequately supplied with essential nutrients during the detox program when body is releasing the toxins.
- The key to get rid of caffeine intoxication is following an alkaline diet. The intake of the foods causing acid like meat or sugar should be gradually reduced. Also avoidance of such foods as refined foods and baked foods will speed up the detox process.
- An ideal caffeine detox diet consists of fresh fruits, vegetable salads, soups, greens, seaweed, corn, whole grains-cooked and sprouted, soy products, and some nuts and seeds.
- You have to complement the diet by drinking at least six to eight glasses of filtered water every day. From time to time sip mineral waters. Consume baking soda or, potassium bicarbonate tablets, to enhance the alkaline effect.
- Vitamin C supplementation is a must for caffeine detox diet. It also eases out the withdrawal symptoms and supports the adrenals. They also provide you an anti-stress protection. So a caffeine detox program must be replete with several grams of vitamin C along with minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
- In order to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms, intake of vitamin B complex with extra pantothenic acid is highly recommended.
- A caffeine detoxification, program should be stretched over a period of one week or two. This will help in avoiding extreme withdrawal symptoms.
As you shift from caffeinated beverages, you can include a number of herbal substitutes to give you a stimulating and refreshing boost. You can consider drinking the tea made of roasted herbal roots like barley, chicory, and dandelion, which will nourish your body in addition of boosting up your spirit. Herbal teas prepared with lemon grass, peppermint, ginger root, red clover, and comfrey are also good energizing alternatives to caffeinated beverages.