5 Ways To Stay Awake When You Are Tired
It is really hard to stay awake when you are feeling tired. For some, this can be caused by physical exhaustion while others will feel the need to sleep because of mental fatigue.
While exhaustion or fatigue is best treated with a few hours of sleep, there are moments when there is just no time for it. You may be trying to meet a deadline or you need to be present in an important event. Whatever the reason is, you need to consider these tips on how to stay awake when tired
1. Wake up your body.
There are many ways to do this.
- You can go to the bathroom to splash your face with cold water.
- You can also pinch yourself in the forearm where it is most sensitive.
- For some people pinching under their knees work just as well.
- Try to exercise too if you can afford to do it where you are.
- Jumping up and down or running in place should help you stay awake.
- Even walking around will allow the blood to flow through your body and pump more oxygen into your brain and muscles.
2. Change your environment.
Sometimes, the feeling to fatigue is made worse by the environment.
- Try switching on a few lights or at least make your workplace brighter.
- You can also opt to move to a different location.
- If you are working on a report and you have all the files you need in your laptop, you can go to an outside location where the bright sun can help you keep your eyes open.
3. Stimulate your senses.
Among the ways to stay awake involves stimulating your senses. In case you cannot go outside or you cannot do some exercise to stay awake,
- Listening to some loud or heart-thumping music might do the trick.
- You can also chew on some peppermint or smell mint fragrances to awaken your senses.
That should be a great way to keep your eyes open long enough to finish what you need to accomplish.
4. Eat the right food.
There are also healthy ways to stay awake by eating the right type of food. For instance,
- Chewing on cashews or almonds that are high in protein can keep you awake.
- Apples are known to be effective in keeping you awake.
- Munching on carrots or snacking on peanut butter is also known to work.
- Try not to skip meals because failure to give your body the nutrition it needs will make you feel tired easily.
5. Take a break.
The last effective way to stay awake is to just give yourself a break. There is really nothing that you can do about it if you pushed your mind and body to the limit. Sometimes, even a 10 minute break will do the trick. Or you can take a 30 minute nap to rest your mind and refresh your body. If you push yourself further, it might make things a lot worse. If you are at work, use your break time to sleep. That should help sustain you for the rest of the day.